Sleeping a very important aspect of a healthy life- it means a lot more to your well being than just a night’s rest. In fact, everyone needs to learn how to sleep right. Depending on your sleeping posture, you need the right mattress to enable you to sleep well. We shall look at the best mattresses for side sleepers according to online reviews.
Having the right mattress goes a long way in making sure that you sleep right. The best mattresses consider the user’s sleeping posture, weight and body size to provide optimal firmness and support. For instance, the best mattress for someone who sleeps on his or her back should be different from that of someone who sleeps on his or her tummy. A mattress designed to support the back will be uncomfortable and may be damaging to a stomach sleeper.
- 1 Features Of The Best Mattresses For Side Sleepers
- 2 Reviews of 10 Best Mattresses For The Side Sleeper
- 2.1 1. Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress
- 2.2 2. LinenSpa 8″ Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress
- 2.3 3. Tuft & Needle Mattress
- 2.4 4. Zinus 8 Inch Hybrid Green Tea Foam and Spring Mattress
- 2.5 5. Zinus 6 Inch Hybrid Foam and Spring Mattress
- 2.6 6. LUCID 5 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- 2.7 7. Signature Sleep Contour 8 Inch Reversible Independently Encased Coil Mattress
- 2.8 8. Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 8 Inch Mattress
- 2.9 9. LUCID 10 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- 2.10 10. Comfort & Relax Sleep Memory Foam Mattress
- 3 Conclusion
Features Of The Best Mattresses For Side Sleepers
It is estimated that about half the people are side sleepers, which means that most people sleep on their side. There are certain features that a mattress must have, to be considered designed with the side sleeper in mind.
Most side sleepers assume the fetal position when sleeping which means that most of the weight will be in the middle of the mattress because of the curving of the body. A mattress designed for pressure relief to the shoulders, hips, and back would be ideal- one that will fill up the spaces left along the mattress profile as you lay on your side. The layering should be comfortable to accommodate the sinking body and weight.
Here are the top features to consider:
Firmness is basically the softness of the mattress feels and should not be confused with support which has to do with relieving pressure points and being responsive to the shape of the body. Medium to medium-firm mattresses is best for side sleepers. Firmness is also relative to one’s weight and comfort preference.
Spinal alignment and support
The best side sleeper mattress must encourage and provide spinal alignment and support. The body curvature of the spine should be accommodated and gaps arising filled to support the spinal cord well. The mattress or material used, should be responsive to the body shape and weight to accord evenness along the sleeping body.
The ideal mattress should come with a responsive comfort layer to accommodate the lower body at the hips and the upper body at the shoulders without sinking in too much.
This is basically a consideration of how fast a mattress will retake its original position when someone moves from one place to another or gets off the mattress. The more resilient a mattress is the easier it will be for you to adjust your sleeping position and will be of great benefit to side sleepers who switch from one side to the other as they sleep.
Go for a mattress with a thick comfort layer which provides sufficient comfort. It ensures that the weight does not overwork other supporting layers.
How long will the mattress last? No one wants to buy a new mattress every year! The mattress should be designed and made to be durable while maintaining a high-performance level over time. Customer feedback or review is the best pointer to the durability of the mattress.
Quality of material used
This is related to all the previous features. The quality of material used determines the performance of the mattress. Look at the specifications and in particular, consider the composition and layering of the mattress. What is the thickness? What is the foam density? etc.
Feedback and reviews
Always seek the reviews about the mattress, especially the feedback from those who are already using the mattress. The more positive responses are from those USING it, the more accurate the positive feedback is.
Reviews of 10 Best Mattresses For The Side Sleeper
These following are our top picks and recommendations of the best mattresses for the side sleeper:
1. Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress
It is made of thick memory foam that is able to support almost any weight or size. It is quite firm yet comfortable; it is not one of those hard foam mattresses. It is made of a mesh of different layers of foam for the comfortable firmness and support.
Edge support and strength is important in a good mattress; this mattress is firm on the edges to support the person sleeping on it from falling off.
- Adequately thick and firm for desired comfort and support, even under a lot of weight.
- Has strong edges for good edge protection.
- Well priced for its class.
- It is durable because the materials used can handle any weight and heavy use.
- It is not well ventilated for temperature regulation and one can feel very hot while sleeping.
- The factory chemical smell lingers for a while.
- It takes 3 to 4 days for the mattress to extend to full size because it is vacuum sealed.
2. LinenSpa 8″ Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress
This is a foam and spring hybrid mattress. It is a combination of innerspring mechanisms and layers of foam on the outside. Compared to a spring only mattress, it has a dependable firmness to support big weight and still remains comfortably soft. It is made of temperature ventilating material to keep you from sweating as you sleep.
- Comfortable and soft.
- Well ventilated for temperature regulation while sleeping.
- No factory chemical smell and is very easy to set up.
- Well priced for its size.
- Weak edges thus not offering adequate edge support and can easily fall off.
- It is a thin mattress and may be uncomfortable. Heavier people will probably sink in.
3. Tuft & Needle Mattress
This is an all foam mattress ideal for the hot spring and summer months. It is made of a well-ventilating material, with a layer of cooling gel on top for effective cooling.
For a foam mattress, it is very firm and can deal with a lot of weight, with no sinking problems. The adaptive foam used is great at supporting weight as compared to latex or memory foam. Minimal movement means it is the best for sharing since you do not disturb the person next to you.
- With an addition of a layer of cooling gel, you are guaranteed cool sleep even when it is hot outside.
- It is very firm and can handle a lot of weight.
- Because of the thickness, sinking under one’s weight is a no-no.
- Does not have very good edge support.
- Some people have found the firmness to be too hard.
- It is highly priced.
4. Zinus 8 Inch Hybrid Green Tea Foam and Spring Mattress
This Zinus is another hybrid mattress for the side sleeper; a combination of very good foam and heavy-duty springs inside. It is made nicely firm to support substantive weight for its 8-inch thickness, even though it may be uncomfortable for some people.
- Firm enough to support a lot of weight.
- Firm all over to the edges; good edge support.
- Competitively priced and is cheaper than those in its class.
- People who are really heavy can feel the springs in the mattress.
- It can be uncomfortable because it is thin and not thickly layered.
- Has a strong chemical smell that can linger for weeks.
5. Zinus 6 Inch Hybrid Foam and Spring Mattress
It is much like the 8-inch Zinus but much cooler and is certain to keep you cooler as you sleep. At 6 inches, it thin and comfort may be an issue.
- Cooling and well ventilated to minimize sweating.
- Good edge support to prevent falling.
- Well priced and affordable.
- Heavy people will feel the springs which are uncomfortable. It may be best for children.
- The thin size means that it may not handle heavy use and thus not durable.
- The firmness may cause back problems.
6. LUCID 5 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
This is a memory foam mattress; quite firm with adequate edge support. It is comfortable and soft, for those who are not too heavy, despite the firmness to prevent back pain. It has a top cooling layer to prevent overheating.
- Adequately firm to prevent sinking in.
- Soft and comfortable despite the firmness.
- Greatly priced, quite affordable.
- Too small; getting fitting sheets may be difficult.
- Has a lingering chemical smell.
- Too thin and may not be ideal for heavier people.
7. Signature Sleep Contour 8 Inch Reversible Independently Encased Coil Mattress
A hybrid mattress with a dense foam layer to prevent the person sleeping from feeling the spring coils. It is firm but still comfortable. The seams are not well finished and the edges are not firm.
- Adequately firm mattress but still soft and comfortable for any size and weight.
- Well-padded to prevent one from feeling the spring coils inside.
- Well priced; affordable.
- A chemical smell lingers for a few days.
- Poor edge support, high risk of falling if you move to the edge.
- Not durable due to poorly finished seams.
8. Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 8 Inch Mattress
A highly durable memory foam mattress that is made for heavy use and will accommodate most sizes. It is made to disperse heat as one sleeps on it to prevent excessive sweating.
- Durable and is made to withstand heavy use.
- Disperses heat to reduce excess sweating.
- Well priced.
- Takes long to inflate to full size and is a little smaller than indicated.
- Could be too firm to cause back pain.
- Has a long lingering chemical smell.
9. LUCID 10 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
This is a premium-quality mattress made of two layers of memory foam. It provides great support and accommodates a lot of weight without sinking in. It is thick and soft for comfort.
- Firm but soft and comfortable.
- Thick enough to support a lot of weight.
- Affordably priced.
- Takes up to two days to expand to full size.
- Not made to cool.>
- Soft edges mean that it may wear out quickly.
10. Comfort & Relax Sleep Memory Foam Mattress
Another memory foam mattress good for hot weather. It is well-ventilated with bamboo material and does not retain heat. It is soft and comfortable with good edge support.
- >Well ventilated to prevent overheating.
- Good edge support to prevent falling off if one finds himself or herself on the edge while asleep.
- Comfortable and soft to prevent the occurrence or worsening of back problems.
- Rarely expands to indicated size.
- Weak center; sags after a few months of daily use.
- Best for children or light adults; not firm enough for high weight.
This a list of 10 best mattresses for side sleepers as per online reviews and feedback. This list is not exhaustive and is not a ranking. We have simply given you an idea of what it out there for you if you are a side sleeper.
There are many brands and types of pillows, mattress and depending with your finances, comfort levels, health (especially back and breathing issues), and brand to type loyalty, you will be sure to find a mattress for you.
Always consider the material the mattress is made out; depending on how it is made, mattresses are generally divided into two, foam and spring mattresses. Spring mattresses made from metallic spring coils are generally firmer but can be when the springs get loose and weak. Foam mattresses are generally more comfortable because they are softer, however, they offer less support. As much as they conform to the body, they sink.
The best approach to get the mattress fit for you is to shop around and try them before you purchase- comfort and fitness is an individual issue.